Full-time Faculty - Mathematics (Bard High School Early College Bronx)
Job Title: Full-time Faculty - Mathematics (Bard High School Early College Bronx)
About the Bard Early Colleges
The Bard Early Colleges (BEC) are founded on the belief that, for many young people, college can and should start at an earlier age. Acting on this belief, Bard Early College enables students to begin serious college study in place of the traditional 11th and 12th grades, at no cost to students or families. The Bard Early Colleges offer a unique home for young people’s intellectual ambition: as both tuition-free, branch campuses of Bard College and public high schools, they award a high school diploma and a Bard College Associate in Arts degree (and 60 transferable credits) by the end of the 12th grade. Students are taught by Bard College faculty in undergraduate, seminar classes, all deeply rooted in the liberal arts and sciences, in Bard College’s commitment to excellence in teaching, and in Bard’s mission as a private college in the public interest.
Now entering its third decade, the Bard Early College network enrolls over 3,000 young people in campuses in Queens, Manhattan, and Hudson, New York; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland; and Washington, D.C.
Bard Early College (BEC) invites applications for a faculty member in Mathematics for our New York City based campuses.
BEC seeks candidates able to teach mathematics at the high school and college levels, from high school algebra through intermediate college-level courses. Ability to teach Statistics, Computer Science, and/or Physics (in addition to Math) is preferred; candidates will teach courses in their fields of specialization, as well as interdisciplinary courses in mathematics and science. Successful applicants will be innovative teachers, skilled in encouraging collaborative learning and group work, providing students with meaningful and challenging tasks that promote problem-solving and inquiry-based learning. Successful candidates will understand how to foster a love of mathematics in students, emphasizing the real-world applications and relevance of mathematical concepts.
Location: Bard High School Early College (BHSEC) Bronx, 1619 Boston Road, Bronx, NY 10460
Start Date: September or October 2023
Duration: Full-time, ongoing
The position may be funded by either Bard College or the NYC Department of Education.
The compensation for teaching these classes is based on the NYC DOE salary scale found on this page: https://www.uft.org/your-rights/salary/doe-and-city-salary-schedules/teachers-salary-schedule-2018-2021
- Participate in curriculum development (especially for new elective courses).
- Commitment to regular and ongoing professional development.
- Commitment to working with students individually and in small groups through tutoring, office hours and advising outside of regular class time.
- Communicate regularly with administrators, parents and other stakeholders about student progress and engagement.
- Participate fully in the life of the school, including student advising, club advising, and committee service.
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrated exemplary educational practices, with a demonstrated interest in engaging and challenging younger students with diverse racial backgrounds, economic backgrounds, and a variety of approaches to learning and/or needs for learning supports.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate a continued interest in the ongoing work in their field.
- The ideal candidate will understand cultural differences and purposefully help to uplift ideas from underrepresented groups to improve the equity balance in education.
- The ideal candidate will exhibit an inclusive philosophy that supports all students and their capability to succeed regardless of differences and challenges.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have both college and high school teaching experience and demonstrate interest in motivating and supporting all students to excel at college level coursework.
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have earned a Ph.D. in their field.
To apply, please upload a letter of interest and curriculum vitae through the specific Interfolio job application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/125564
Click on the "Apply Now" button found on the upper right corner.
Review of applications begins immediately and will proceed until the position is filled.
Bard High School Early College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. Women and members of under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Visit http://www.bard.edu/earlycollege/about/ for more information on our schools.
Questions: Contact the school Principal, Siska Brutsaert at email@example.com