The incumbent will perform process and statistical modeling to predict nutrient losses from dairy forage cropping systems: Quantify cropping system, nutrient input, and weather impacts on soil erosion and losses of nitrogen in surface runoff from long-term paired watersheds using regional soil-water models and stochastic approaches and apply a whole farm process model to predict crop yields, nutrient uptake and losses; perform model calibration/validation as needed.
How to apply: USAJOBS - Job Announcement
- Quantify cropping system, nutrient input, and weather impacts on soil erosion and losses of nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) in surface runoff from long-term paired watersheds using regional soil-water models and stochastic approaches.
- Apply a whole farm process model (Ruminant Farm Systems model; RuFaS) to predict crop yields, nutrient uptake and losses; perform model calibration/validation as needed.
- Work collaboratively with an incoming crop modeling scientist, RuFaS team, and supervisor to improve representation of soil biogeochemical processes, crop yield and uptakes.
- Improve representation of environmental outcomes in RuFaS through incorporation of existing and novel process models built from relevant agri-environmental data.
Conditions of Employment
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- Direct Deposit ? Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at https://www.e-verify.gov/Appropriations Law and Immigration Law requirements must be met.
This position requires a Ph.D in Soil Science (Chemistry, Microbiology, Fertility/Plant Nutrition, or Nutrient Management), Agricultural Engineering, Agronomy, Ecology, Hydrology, or related field with experience with relevant modeling experience.