Electrical Engineering Co-op Summer 2023
Electrical engineering co-op students are considered to be an integral part of the engineering staff and are provided with design tasks that are both technically challenging and educationally stimulating. Under guidance of the engineering staff, the students will be assigned to teams associated with ongoing production and design projects. This position is short term and hourly (typically 40 hours per week). It is encouraged that the student returns for multiple co-op terms.
II. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support of engineering and design needs for ongoing projects in design or in the field. General
- Willing to learn and understand use of miscellaneous office equipment technology such as phones, copiers, plotters, scanners and computers.
- Willingness to accept responsibility and accountability.
- On time and dependable.
- Keep accurate records of billable time and submits time sheets on time.
- Completes tasks thoroughly and on time.
- Effectively understand and can reiterate basic technical information.
- Understand and follows company structure.
- Understands and follows department standards and procedures.
- Understand floor plans, sections, details and basic architectural concepts.
- Develop working knowledge of miscellaneous office equipment technology such as phones, copiers, plotters, scanners and computers.
- Preparation and modification of engineering drawings using computer-aided systems such as AutoCad or Revit. Modification includes views, layering, routines, and custom menus.
- Work with designer to develop preliminary sketches or schematics, layouts, details, and/or drawings.
- Performs basic electrical and lighting calculations.
- Participate in company technical training to gain understanding of process and knowledge of field.
- Collaboration on projects to develop a plan for actions required to meet deadlines.
- Creating, organizing and plotting construction sets for issuance to the field.
- Local delivery of drawings.
- After a couple terms a coop may be able to perform as an electrical designer.
Expectations of all engineering and design co-ops
- Demonstrate acceptance of responsibility; show pride in work performed; demonstrate flexibility in acceptance of assignments and schedules; maintain professional behavior and appearance; exhibit dependability.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Is aligned with our culture and core Mission/Vision/Values.
- Possesses ability to clearly, confidently and effectively communicate with staff
- Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals. Motivates all KLH team mates, toward excellence in customer; service, care and “why” based solutions.
- Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Student candidate must be attending technical college for an associate’s degree or Attending a 4 year college for a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or architectural engineering. Minimum GPA of 2.8
- Any previous consulting engineering or construction field experience is desired.
- Verbal – Speaks clearly, listens attentively Written – Writes clearly
- Basic computing skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook
- Proficiency in AutoCAD or Revit is desired
VI. Performance Metrics
- Accuracy of completing tasks
- Timeliness of completing tasks
- Willingness to help and go the extra mile
- Consistency in performing and completing tasks
- Ability to gain engineering knowledge and consistently apply it
- Thoroughness and accuracy in completing calculations
- Attention to drafting detail
- Understanding and application of company and department standards