Staff Materials Engineer
At John Deere, we run so life can leap forward. This powerful purpose is our promise to humankind that we will dream, design and deliver breakthrough products that sustain our world for generations to come. The world is counting on us to feed billions of people and build vital infrastructures in villages, towns, and megacities. We live up to the legacy our founder forged in a one-room blacksmith's shop nearly two centuries ago by creating a culture that brings out the best in all of us. A culture where great ideas thrive because every voice is heard.
As a Staff Materials Engineer for John Deere Power Systems, located at the Product Engineering Center in Waterloo, IA , you will provide PDP technical leadership with standardizing Material selection and processes, material standards and evaluation test methods utilized for JDPS engines globally. You will be a technical resource globally for all Power System facilities. In addition, you will:
- Provide expert failure analysis support for complex material related failures, identifying root cause of material, manufacturing process or application related failures of all engine series.
- Serve as the divisional subject matter expert with cast irons, steels and heat-treat processes. Includes managing divisional engineering material standards and participating with review and revisions of enterprise engineering material standards.
- Stay current with new technologies and processes used with manufacturing engine components and general engine engineering topics.
- Investigate and pursue new technologies as they may apply to engine components, facilitating onsite technical engineering discussions with suppliers of these technologies and engaging various engineering teams.
- Support design teams with advanced process knowledge for Value Improvement initiatives Worldwide.
- Lead and Serve within the respective critical knowledge domain best serving JDPS and the Enterprise.
- Support material-focused tribological needs of the Power Cylinder, Bearing Specialist and Design engineers to develop material database focused tribology properties.
- Parent metal properties (ex: fatigue, yield strength, etc), non-homogeneous materials and porosity due to production methods.
- Support the development of components that are utilize in engines to robustly create interfaces between different moving components which are typical exposed to high loads (Power Cylinder, Crank Train, Gear Train and Valve Train).
Visa sponsorship is NOT available for this position.
What Skills You Need
- 10 or more years of experience within Materials Engineering and/or Engineering Mechanics principles
- 7 or more years of experience with material selection, fatigue, wear, and surface treatments
- 7 or more years of experience managing technical projects requiring facilitation of internal and external resources
- 8 or more years of experience conducting complex failure analysis
- 10 or more years of experience with ferrous metallurgy
- 7 or more years of practical experience with metallography, light microscopy, and Scanning Electron Microscopy
- 10 or more years of experience reading and interpreting material microstructures with a strong emphasis in ferrous metallurgy
- 8 or more years of experience building excellent business relationships and working globally.
- 6 or more years of experience leading and facilitating engineering project planning demonstrating excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% both domestically and internationally
What Makes You Stand Out
- Master of Science engineering degree or PhD in Materials Engineering or Metallurgical Engineering
- Engine design and or development experience that demonstrates a firm understanding of interactions with engine components and how these interactions create complicated responses
- NDT certification with MT or UT
- Digital dexterity with Quality data analytic tools such as Tableau, Infinity, Alteryx, Quality Works, etc.
- 8 or more years practical experience in steel making, cast iron and/or steel foundry with post processing techniques such as heat-treatments
- Experience with surface finish analysis using White Light Interferometry
Ideally, you will have a degree or equivalent related work experience in the following:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Metallurgical or Materials Engineering. Master of Science in Materials or Mechanical Engineering desired.
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you'll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, John Deere requires a diversity of people, perspectives and ideas to address the complex challenges of its global business. John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.