Associate Test Engineer - Early Career
Kairos Power is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal to dramatically improve people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Calling Mechanical Engineering Majors!
Are you a creative, proactive and eager student with a solution-oriented mindset and the ability to change course quickly in a high-paced environment? If so, our Associate Test Engineer Early Career role is the perfect opportunity for wildly competent students with a passion for making an impact in a high-performing engineering organization. Jumpstart your career with one of Forbes Best Startup Employers in 2022!
Kairos Power, LLC is seeking highly motivated students for our Associate Test Engineer Early Career roles. Through our unique Early Career roles, we provide students with hands-on experience working on innovative nuclear design through high performance computing and experimental investigative methods.
Early Career roles can include but are not limited to:
- Associate Test Engineer with expertise relevant to design, construction, operation and maintenance of engineering infrastructure and test equipment. In this role, you will contribute to development and deployment of the company’s engineering testing capabilities. The candidate must have knowledge of infrastructure, design, operation and maintenance requirements for test equipment and proven record of successful work in collaboration with engineering teams. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on work, organizational skills and attention to detail. The person in this role will perform the following duties:
- Support development of electrical, thermal and mechanical infrastructure needed for laboratory testing activities
- Interact with engineering teams and laboratory technicians to support implementation of testing program
- Contribute to manufacturing and assembly of test fixtures and test setups in collaboration with engineering and manufacturing teams
- Develop software interfaces for experimental control and data acquisition
- Help with monitoring and inspection of ongoing tests and activities in the laboratory
- Develop procedures for experiment operation, data collection and reporting
- Other duties as assigned.
- Test Engineer – Launch Program where you will join our team by first partnering with an engineering Mentor and then spending up to 12 months training on our processes and methods through direct, practical experience. This program offers an increased exposure to various technical experts and teams, accelerating the learning process and enabling your ability to be an effective designer. The high performing engineers in this role will have hands-on, prototyping and lab experience. The ideal candidate must have a hands-on approach to design, assembly and testing of mechanical systems, with hands-on experience working in an R&D test lab and experience leveraging CAD and analysis for rapid mechanical design and development. The person in this role will perform the following duties:
- Design, prototype and develop a completely new component for the KP-FHR, as part of cross-functional teams
- Use your creativity along with CAD and analytical tools to create custom mechanical designs and drive design decisions that meet KP-FHR and test system requirements
- Perform rapid prototyping and coordinate fabrication of new components with internal manufacturing operation and external suppliers
- Perform scoping calculations to assess the technical value of designs, including assessment of effects from potentially severe environmental conditions (high temperature and radiation)
- Develop 3D design layouts and 2D engineering drawings for design and fabrication, with consideration of system interface requirements and cost optimization
- Improve CAD design capabilities by working alongside Kairos Power’s engineers to create new designs or update designs to increase performance and manufacturability
- Work with Kairos Power engineering testing and engineering design teams to demonstrate real-world functionality of new designs
- Provide regular presentation updates on design work and progress, and actively participate in relevant reviews including P&ID reviews, system FMEA, HAZOPS, model reviews (2D/3D), and any independent reviews as necessary
- Develop technical reports for engineering work that is conducted
- Other duties as assigned
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent with industry equipment experience; MS preferred
- Experience designing for Nuclear, Energy, Chemical, Petrochemical, Defense, or Aerospace applications preferred
- Experience with 3D modeling and prototyping (SolidWorks preferred)
- Experience working in a laboratory or industrial environment on thermal and fluids testing is desirable, along with experience using associated laboratory equipment and hand tools
- Understanding of electrical circuits and mechanical drawings
- Experience with electrical and hydraulic infrastructures
- Experience with computer aided design desired
- Experience with machining and welding desired
- Familiarity with advanced engineering test infrastructure development desired
- Experience working with research institutions preferred
- Experience with thermal and fluids analysis and modeling is a plus
- Experience with a manufacturing environment is a plus
- Proven team player with excellent verbal, written communication/presentation, and interpersonal skills
Physical & Environmental Conditions
Varies by role. Please inquire for specific requirements.
Safety and PPE
Varies by role. Will be provided prior to interview.
Varies by role. Extremely limited.
This is a pipeline requisition. Qualified candidates will be considered for open 2022 early career positions as they become available.