Metallurgical Engineer (5915)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.’s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Metallurgical Engineer for our Materials & Corrosion Engineering Practice in Chicago, IL. In this role you will work as part of a team conducting metallurgical, materials, corrosion, and mechanical failure analyses.
You will be responsible for:
- Conducting hands-on failure analysis
- Creating written reports and presentations
- Planning and executing laboratory tests
- Performing field inspections
- Directing SEM operation, metallurgical analysis and testing
- Communicating effectively with other engineers and technicians, managers, clients and administrative staff
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering and familiarity with Aerospace and/or Mechanical Engineering
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work within project teams with a strong desire to contribute
- Experience with aerospace structural materials and/or turbomachinery is desired
- Specialized metallurgical engineering knowledge and experience in metallographic and fractographic interpretation, corrosion, fracture mechanics, heat treatment and/or microstructural development is desired
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links:
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.