Field Engineer I/II/III
Berkshire Hathaway’s commitment to building a stronger energy future is matched by our commitment to our employees who will make it a reality. Our employees are integral to our success and work hard to exceed customer expectations. We provide fulfilling employment opportunities, are committed to attracting and retaining the best employees, and support an environment that reflects the diversity of our communities.
Join our team in Field Engineering as an Engineer I or Engineer II or Engineer III in our Western Area Headquarters Office.
As an Engineer, you will provide engineering guidance to Operations and Engineering for new installations, remediation projects, or consultation on facility design needs with a high proficiency in pipeline and pipeline facility engineering including concrete, and structures. This position will also provide engineering expertise for continual improvement of company construction specifications, engineer mentorship and training, design/construction standards, and compliance with applicable codes. Additionally, this position will provide a focus on pipeline integrity requirements and participation in regulatory/facility audits as needed. Must be willing and able to travel up to 50% (day and overnight).
There is one position available that will be filled at either the Engineer I or Engineer II or Engineer III level commensurate with the selected candidate's skills and abilities. All candidates must apply online by May 17. Relocation assistance can be offered to the successful eligible candidate.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Develop designs, plans, schedules, cost estimates, and agreements for proposed pipeline installation, replacement, and remediation including structures and ancillary equipment required for new pipeline facilities or modifications of existing pipeline facilities.
- Develop designs, plans, schedules, cost estimates, and agreements for proposed pipeline compressor station and measurement & regulation installation, replacement, and remediation including structures and ancillary equipment required for new facilities or modifications of existing facilities.
- Provide leadership and accountability inclusive of budgeting, design, and construction support for capital projects from conceptual stage through successful completion with oversight of outside consultants, if needed.
- Responsible for adherence to both capital and operations & maintenance budgets and schedules.
- Utilize, maintain and develop specifications related to field engineering functions (design and construction, materials, repairs, etc.)
- Prepare requisitions for materials & equipment, design services, and construction services.
- Evaluate proposals/bids and make recommendations for awards for materials or services.
- Administer/manage the engineering components of service agreements, design contracts, and construction contracts.
- Support permit applications and environmental clearances required to perform construction and remediation activities.
- Work both independently and as part of a team to support Operations and Project Teams in the completion of assigned projects and ongoing duties.
- Ensure accuracy of as-built information for assigned projects.
- Ensure compliance with codes, laws, and company policies.
- Ensure accuracy and complete of materials, test procedures, welding procedures, and other applicable engineering duties for Operations and Project Teams.
You must demonstrate via resume and cover letter that you meet the required Basic Qualifications as follows:
- Engineer I must have a minimum 0-3 years of engineering experience in the Natural Gas Industry
- Engineer II must have a minimum 4-5 years of engineering experience in the Natural Gas Industry
- Engineer III must have a minimum 7-9 years of engineering experience in the Natural Gas Industry
- Bachelors in Engineering from an ABET- accredited or ABET - recognized Engineering program. Please refer to Education Requirements
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to independently manage and design all aspects of large, complex projects.
- Ability to perform effectively in a high pace, multi-task environment; and ability to independently plan and organize work schedule.
- Ability to communicate effectively and develop rapport with internal and external customers.
- Ability to operate a personal computer including the ability to utilize computer & engineering software applications including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to make recommendations and decisions.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Professional Engineer license
- Knowledge of DOT/PHMSA Pipeline Safety Regulations and related codes/standards
- Project management and scheduling skills
For placement of a candidate in the Engineer job series, the following criteria must be met:
- Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an ABET accredited engineering program based on the year that the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
- Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an institution outside of the U.S. which is accredited through the country's own engineering accrediting body under the Washington Accord as a full signatory, and is a degree that was recognized by the country's accrediting body on or after the date that full signatory status was achieved, or
- Possess a 4-year engineering degree from a non-ABET accredited program and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
- Possess a 4-year degree in Physics, Chemistry or Math and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or Holds or has previously held a valid U.S. Professional Engineer license.
Loud Noise Up to 25%
Office Work Environment 51-75%
At this time, BHE GT&S cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position.
Certain positions at BHE GT&S may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in BHE GT&S limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click here dombenefits.com.
BHE GT&S is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran, or disability status. Our values guide us in accordance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations governing personnel activities.
On November 1, 2020, Dominion Energy sold its gas transmission and storage business to Berkshire Hathaway Energy. In light of this transaction, the application process and benefits package are temporarily shared by Dominion Energy and BHE Pipeline Group while the full integration of the gas transmission and storage business into BHE Pipeline Group is ongoing. Please note: when applying to a BHE GT&S position, some correspondence and documentation throughout the application and selection process will come from, or reference, Dominion Energy. If you have any questions or concerns through the BHE GT&S application process, please reach out to BHEPGStaffing@dominionenergy.com.