Senior R&D Scientist
The primary responsibility of this position is to develop new or existing processes and products, investigating and resolving highly complex theoretical and technical issues, and providing expert judgment and analysis as well as innovative ideas for advancement in technology and products.
Your Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead a research project on glass processing for optical fiber applications
- Drive the improvement of our silica material and its manufacturing process to meet or exceed the requirements of the telecommunication industry
- Demonstrate and document the ability to innovate, initiate independent research and solve problems
- Investigate and resolve highly complex conceptual, theoretical, and technical problems in a timely manner
- Provide expert judgment, analysis, and leadership on complex conceptual, theoretical, and technical issues
- Develop innovative ideas for new processes and products and improvements to existing processes and products
- Advance technology and product development as an expert, a leader, and a resource in complex conceptual, theoretical and technical issues
- Collaborate with and utilize resources and expertise within the company effectively and accomplish the research and development objectives above with speed and within budget
- Prioritize and focus on the most important and relevant efforts that maximize the results for the company as a leader exercise good judgment
- Forge strong relationships within the R&D, Engineering, Production and other HTU departments as well as other Divisions within Heraeus
- Drive all technical projects requested by the R&D Manager; initiate new technical projects and provide technical leadership
- Prioritize technical projects; secure and manage necessary resources; focus on achieving beneficial results
What is required for this role:
- Doctorate in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Material Science, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in research and development.
- Significant experience in high-temperature glass or ceramic processing, optical perform or fiber processing, and thermal and optical physics.
- Hands-on and in-depth knowledge or experience in the following areas is a significant plus:
- material science and processing of high purity synthetic silica or fused quartz,
- high-temperature processing of glass or ceramic,
- optics and waveguide theory,
- telecommunication systems, optical components, devices, and fibers,
- controls and automation,
- statistical data analysis or data mining,
- manufacturing processes & applications of optical fibers,
- finite Element Modeling of heat transfer or computational fluid dynamics,
- mechanical engineering and design,
- chemical vapor deposition or doping process for high purity silica, and
- specialty fibers, fiber sensors, or fiber lasers
- involves working with an international team of researchers and collaboration with academic institutions.
- SPIRIT- Strong work ethic, Positive outlook, Integrity, Reliable, Into the details and a Team player.
- Unwavering commitment to Safety, People First, Quality, Continuous Improvement, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts.