R&D Intern - Agriculture
At Momentive, we aspire to build a culture that recognizes and embraces differences and fosters an environment where employees are comfortable expressing their true selves while being respectful of others.
Becoming a part of Momentive’s diverse culture means embracing the innovative spirit our customers value. When you join Momentive, you will be surrounded by teams that take the initiative to understand and to learn every day, offer new and unique ways to challenge the status quo and place a premium on the principles of action and agility. If you want to challenge your abilities, expand your skills, and discover new opportunities for growth, we’d love to talk. Let’s start the conversation.
The R&D intern will be responsible for studying benefits of silicone materials in agricultural adjuvant applications. The research work will involve agricultural formulation and application development as well as lab-scale efficacy testing. This will include execution of formulation DOEs, chemical analysis (GC, HPLC, NMR, pH, etc.), and material physical characterization (optical microscopy, surface tension characterization, etc). The intern will be expected to keep a laboratory notebook, which will include records of experimental procedures, observations, raw data, and analysis. Quantitative analysis of experiments will be done using tools such as Excel, and will be compiled in periodic summary reports that will be presented to the product development scientists. The intern is also expected to comply with Momentive’s Safety and EHS policies, which include attendance at the Technology group monthly Safety and Information meetings.
Primary Job Responsibility 1:
- Design, preparation and testing of agricultural crop protection formulations
- New formulation physical and chemical characterization
- Lab-scale efficacy testing and method development
- Quantitative data analysis
Primary Responsibility 2:
- Maintenance of laboratory research records (notebook and electronic)
- Compilation of data and conclusions into summary presentation for the site technical team
- The prospective intern must have familiarity with good chemical laboratory practice, safe material handling and disposal techniques. As well as working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- The prospective intern should have working knowledge of spectroscopic, chromatographic and microscopic characterization techniques, and demonstrated independent research experience in a chemical or biological laboratory setting.
- Rising Junior or Senior working towards a BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related physical science discipline
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- The candidate must be actively enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at the time of application.
- The ideal candidate has experience growing and caring for plants.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, bend, stoop, crouch, twist, turn, lift. and move about the facility. Walking, walking on irregular surfaces and balancing will be required. Reaching, feeling, finger movement, grasping, hearing, sight and the ability to speak clearly will be required. Regularly, lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 50 lbs. Ability to wear personal protective equipment; ability to pass a fit-test and wear a respirator is required for most positions. The environment for this position is a laboratory setting. Candidates should be able to adapt to a traditional business environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
In order to be considered for this position candidates are required to submit an application for employment through our career site, be at least 18 years of age, willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
If currently an employee of the Company, you must have current satisfactory work performance and in most cases, have been in your current role 18 months.
We cooperate with carefully selected external vendors supporting us on specific employment opportunities. Momentive is not seeking or accepting any unsolicited assistance from search and selection firms or employment agencies at this time. Please do not contact any of our employees by phone, email or otherwise about this position. Please note that Momentive will not be obligated to pay any cost or fee for candidate resumes that are submitted without the existence of a valid written and signed search firm agreement.