Join Bell & Evans and become part of a proud, diverse family of 1,800 team members who work together every day to produce the best chicken in the world. Our family-owned business dates back to 1894 as the oldest branded chicken company in America. Since our beginning, Bell & Evans focuses on quality and produces only premium chicken, no commodity, maintaining the highest animal welfare standards in our industry. We are an innovator that believes in transparency, uncompromising quality, service, teamwork, and honest, common-sense practices.
The Laboratory Technician will provide support to the Bell & Evans Quality Assurance department by completing microbiological, chemical, and organoleptic analyses on both product and environmental samples to ensure safe, quality products are produced. This position will also be responsible for taking a proactive role in driving continuous improvement in the Bell & Evans Laboratory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following: other duties may be assigned
- Perform and interpret quantitative and qualitative microbial analyses on both product and environmental samples. Microorganisms may include but are not limited to: Salmonella spp., Campylobacter spp., Staphylococcus spp., Enterobacteriaceae, E. coli, aerobic-mesophilic bacteria, lactic acid bacteria, and yeast & mold organisms.
- Perform and interpret quantitative and qualitative chemical analyses on product samples including but not limited to moisture, fat, protein, ash, free fatty acid, peroxide value, and pH.
- Provide laboratory testing support to the new product development process through the completion of shelf-life studies and participating in scheduled sensory analyses.
- Maintain inventory of all essential testing supplies and reorder when necessary.
- Prepare enrichment media and other reagents as needed for daily microbiological testing.
- Routinely monitor and verify all laboratory instruments/equipment can function properly and remain within calibration status.
- Maintain a safe, clean working environment by adhering to the daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning agendas.
- Ensure quality and integrity of test results by adhering to Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs) and participating in all scheduled proficiency testing programs.
- Coordinate with the Lab Supervisor and other department leaders whenever necessary.
- Provide support to the Quality Assurance department by developing a knowledge of the business to participate in projects, internal/external audits, and other duties as assigned.
- Actively participate in all company meetings.
Education and Experience (Due to the high volume of applicants, only those who meet the minimum qualifications will be selected for interviews): Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Food Science, or related field AND 1-year experience in a microbiology laboratory; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in aseptic techniques and a working knowledge of laboratory testing methodology and equipment (pipettors, incubators, CEM analytical devices, stomachers, pH meters, etc.)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Microsoft Outlook.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with frequent changes.
Take a proactive role in assuring safe, quality products are produced by immediately addressing any safety or quality concerns.
100% of our operations are located in the small, rural town of Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania. At Bell & Evans, you can enjoy:
- Competitive pay
- Full-time schedule
- Great health benefits and on-site wellness clinics
- Athletic trainers for on-site occupational health
- Employee store with discount on Bell & Evans products
- State-of-the-art facilities and the latest technology
If you are ambitious and take pride in your work, we are the employer for you. As we continue to grow, opportunities for advancement are endless!