Mechanical Engineer (Machine Design)
Located in Peoria, Illinois, Natural Fiber Welding, Inc. (NFW) produces a scalable and sustainable universe of peerless high-performance materials created from abundant natural sources. NFW is driven by an entrepreneurial spirit, innovative ideas, and the desire to commercialize new products from nature and is composed of a team of scientists, engineers, and business leaders that are inspired to impact the world. We are looking for exceptional talent who can contribute to our exciting and fast-paced, rapidly growing organization.
We are seeking an exceptional Mechanical Engineer who is a self-starter and a creative problem solver, with the ability to rapidly adapt to business needs and who can work within our engineering team. The ideal candidate will have experience creating designs using CAD software and then executing those designs though CAM and CNC machinery.
Key Responsibilities / What you will do
- Design, along with a team of engineers, the next generation of Clarus™ (yarn/fabric) and Mirum® (plant-based leather) production machinery.
- Automate and improve manufacturing processes through custom designs and fabrication.
- Fabricate prototypes in-house using CNC and manual tools.
- Retrofit and repair existing equipment as needed.
- Work with in-house specialists (welders and fabricators) to build and install new designs.
- Directly discuss problems with operators and production managers to identify and develop labor-saving or product improving solutions.
- Discuss projects with key stakeholders to establish underlying budget, scope, and timeline requirements.
- Provide project cost and labor estimates prior to start of work for project evaluation.
- Troubleshoot production problems related to machine designs.
Qualifications / What you will bring
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent industry experience.
- A demonstrated hands-on experience in machining and fabrication.
- An inquisitive spirit to seek out improvements to existing concepts.
- Knowledge of G-code, CAD software (Autocad Fusion 360 is preferred), and demonstrate design aptitude.
- Knowledge of automation and robotics is a plus.
- Knowledge of plumbing and heating systems is preferred.
- Must have a collaborative work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Ability to work within a highly iterative team environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent talking, hearing and seeing
- Frequent using of hands to grasp, handle, or feel
- Regular standing, walking, sitting and reaching
- You will be able to be on your feet up to 8 hours per day.
- You will be able to lift 75 lbs.
- You will be able to work safely and keep your work area clean.
- You will share your findings in regular written and verbal communication with colleagues.
- Primarily operates in office and manufacturing environments
- Much of the work is performed in a shop environment where it may be loud, dusty, hot or cold
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers.
- Regularly required to use personal protective equipment