Senior Mechanical Engineer
NATURAL FIBER WELDING, INC.
Located in Peoria, Illinois, Natural Fiber Welding, Inc. (NFW) produces a scalable and sustainable universe of peerless high-performance materials created from abundant natural sources. NFW is driven by an entrepreneurial spirit, innovative ideas, and the desire to commercialize new products from nature and is comprised of a team of scientists, engineers, and business leaders that are inspired to impact the world. We are looking for exceptional talent who can contribute to our exciting and fast-paced, rapidly growing organization.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will oversee multiple projects with external engineering and equipment manufacturers. They will work closely with the research, development, and manufacturing teams to understand materials specifications, requirements, and manufacturing processes. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will also provide engineering and design support for custom equipment and automation through 3D modeling, sourcing, and prototyping. In addition this role will help train and mentor junior engineers through constructive feedback on designs, technical assistance, and further guidance.
Essential Job Functions
- Project manage external engineering efforts
- Design the next generation of Clarus™ (yarn/fabric) and Mirum® (high-performance plant-based material) production machinery
- Automate and improve manufacturing processes through custom designs and fabrication
- Discuss projects with key stakeholders to establish scope
- Ideate, research, run scenarios to effectively understand project schedules and resources
- Provide project cost and labor estimates prior to start of work for project evaluation
- Review project timelines with team members
- Effectively communicate project schedules, scopes, and resources
- Lead design reviews with team members
- Mentor fellow engineers
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field; or 10 years’ experience; or combination of education/experience
- Demonstrated track record in project management
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in machining and fabrication
- An inquisitive spirit to seek out improvements to existing concepts
- Knowledge of G-code, CAD software (Autocad Fusion 360 is preferred)
- Knowledge of automation and robotics is a plus
- Knowledge of plumbing and heating systems is a plus
- Must have a collaborative work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Ability to work within a highly iterative team environment
- Ability to mentor junior engineers
- Prior experience in the rubber, paper, or silicone industry is a plus
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the position.
NFW provides you with access to a telehealth benefit, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, critical illness, accident insurance, three healthcare plan options, a discretionary 401k plan and paid vacation and sick time.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter addressing their qualifications for the position and current resume.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
NFW is an Equal Opportunity Employer.