Bird Farm Biologist-Sheridan
STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
FWWB08-2021-00036-Bird Farm Biologist-Sheridan
SALARY:$3,709.09 - $4,779.75 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 01/08/21
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Open Until Filled
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking a Bird Farm Biologist in Sheridan, WY. This position assists with developing strategies for propagation and release of Ringneck pheasants and the maintenance and upkeep of 52-acre facilities with flight pen complex, 2 residential structures, and 17 outbuildings.
Human Resource Contact: 307-777-4507 Laura firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coordinates and helps with all aspects of pheasant propagation.
- Conducts propagation and distribution of pheasants at the Sheridan Game Bird Farm.
- Participates in developing and implementing plans for the planting of habitat at the game bird farm for pheasants.
- Helps with the planned, routine, and emergency maintenance of buildings, grounds, equipment, and pens.
- Provides input on future maintenance plans, expansion of facilities, and budgeting.
- Provides information and education programs to the public concerning the Department's game bird (pheasant) farm program and game birds.
- Talks with private bird farmer operators about developing game bird farms and habitats for game birds.
- Visits with hunters in the field and over the phone about pheasant hunting opportunities and pheasant release sites.
- Provide tours to the public.
- In the absence of the Sheridan Game Bird Farm Supervisor, runs the day-to-day operations of the Sheridan Game Bird Farm under the game bird farm program supervisor's direction.
- Performs game bird farm duties relating to feeding, propagation, transfers, and administering medications to live pheasants.
- Oversees the hatching process of pheasants, including egg collection, involving the use of an incubator.
- Maintains buildings, grounds, equipment, and vehicles.
- Assists with fish culture tasks and other assigned duties.
- Assists other Department work units as assigned.
Preferences may be given to those with experience in livestock/poultry production
**Must have a valid driver's license.
- Skill in detailed observation of pheasants.
- Skill in coordinating multiple tasks.
- Skill in decision making, interpersonal relations, and working with the public.
- Knowledge in basic carpentry, plumbing, and mechanical ability.
- Ability to operate hand tools and light farm machinery such as tractor, chainsaw, cement mixer, 4x4 vehicles, ATV, etc.
- Knowledge of principles, theories, and practices of wildlife sciences.
- Knowledge of how to identify various wildlife, domestic animals, and/or plant species, seeds, or grain.
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology and habitat requirements.
- Knowledge of trends and forecast methodology.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, rules, regulations, and/or policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles, theories, and practices of biological science.
Bachelor's Degree (typically in Wildlife Management)
0-2 years of progressive work experience (typically in Wildlife Management)
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Commercial Driver's License
Education & Experience Substitution:
3-5 years of progressive work experience (typically in Wildlife Management)
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Commercial Driver's Licensed
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- As a condition of employment, must reside in the Department provided housing.
- The employee is required to respond to after-hour emergencies, including weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to work all days of the week and varied work hours, including weekends and early mornings, evenings/late nights.
- Operate 4x4 wheel drive vehicle in adverse weather while pulling a trailer.
- Heavy lifting (50 lbs)feed bags, farm implements. etc
- Ability to work long hours in all weather conditions.
- FLSA: Exempt
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check prior to appointment.
- A CDL is not required for this particular position.
040-Wyoming Game & Fish Department
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
A complete listing of the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure can be viewed at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm.
See Human Resource Contact Information
in the General Description Section
Statewide, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #FWWB08
Job # 2021-00036
FWWB08-2021-00036-BIRD FARM BIOLOGIST-SHERIDAN
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.